Pangeo Workshop at FOSS4G

It would be great if our community could take part in the Free and Open Source Software for Geospatial conference this year!

We could consider proposing a Pangeo workshop, or submitting some talks.

Given the “GIS” focus of FOSS4G, this would be a great fit for all the folks working with geospatial raster data - @scottyhq, @TomAugspurger, @RichardScottOZ, etc. Some of the lessons learned in this thread:

…would be particularly worth sharing.

2 Likes

Talk or workshop abstracts due 04/19

FOSS4G is a great conference. Had a blast in San Diego presenting on the nascent NASA-pangeo effort in 2019. I was planning to submit an abstract focused on oss software for scientific workflows using SAR data. But could collaborate on a workshop or lessons learned over the past year in the fast-moving COG and STAC space. Pinging past Fossies @geoskeptic @aimeeb , but anyone else please do chime in on this thread if interested.

1 Like

Most of my focus so far has been on the integration point with STAC, but I’m happy to help with anything we decide to do.

I’m considering submitting a Pangeo Forge talk proposal to FOSS4G. For those of you who have attended in the past, do you think that would be a good fit?

I’ve only attended one FOSS4G but I think it is a good fit. @geoskeptic probably knows the audience pretty well!

Don’t know anything about this specifically - but a current best practices thing would be good, so be happy to help if someone is doing it. Will be in a terrible timezone, I am sure! :slight_smile:

@rabernat FOSS4G is a great conference, upwards of 700 to 800 attendees in person for the international conferences over the years I think. It would be great to expose some of the tools in the Pangeo/SciPy ecosystem to a FOSS4G audience, also data formats like zarr/netCDF, which aren’t so much the focus as ‘2D’ geospatial formats like GeoTIFF/COG, GeoJSON, GeoPackage, etc. I haven’t attended since 2018 so this may be happening more so recently. Either way, go for it!

1 Like

Ok, so I would propose two submissions.

• An overview talk about the Pangeo ecosystem (xarray, zarr, dask, cloud stuff) and its applications, with slightly more of a climate focus. I can lead that one.
  • A workshop focused on COG / STAC processing with python, likely of wide interest to the FOSS4G crowd. This would need a leader: any volunteers?

Microsoft’s AI for Earth team will be submitting talks on STAC. I think Rob Emanuele or I would volunteer to lead a workshop if there’s interest. Is anyone else is interested in joining then let’s sync up this Friday, so that we can get the workshop submitted on Monday the 19th.

2 Likes

Count me in. Here is a slightly modified version of our AGU 2020 workshop proposal, feel free to edit directly FOSS4G2021-PangeoWorkshop - Google Docs

1 Like