AGU2024 Pangeo meetup / hack session

Abstract submission deadline for AGU2024 is today (midnight EDT)!

(Though I have heard their website is on fire…)

I know quite a few people are submitting abstracts, and there are many relevant sessions for Pangeo projects.

We should do a meetup! - Just like dinner or something one evening perhaps?

Should we also have a hack day? - Like the day after or something. I’ve not personally been to AGU before, but I know we have done that at AMS previously, by reserving a room in a public co-working space. Doing this “officially” might be important for some attendees to be able to claim back for an extra night of accommodation.

cc’ing people who I remember told me they are hoping to attend: @rabernat @owenlittlejohns @eniawowale @shoyer @tomwhite @lsterzinger

6 Likes

@TomNicholas this is a great idea! I potentially could reserve a large meeting room at NASA Goddard and give folks a super secret tour of the clean room (it’s not really secret anyone can go lol).

The challenge with this, is that vistors need to fill out paper work beforehand to be able to get a pass to access the facility, so it’s honestly not the most accessible option. Also Goddard is not really public transit accessible and it’s kind of difficult to get to from downtown DC.

3 Likes

@eniawowale you know I’m so down to see that clean room regardless!

visitors need to fill out paper work beforehand to be able to get a pass to access the facility

However I would hesitate to use this option if it means that someone cannot decide to join our hack session last minute.

1 Like

This is awesome, I had been considering the same idea! I think a hack day on the Saturday after would be so useful! When we did this after AMS 2023 it was a lot of fun. I would be glad to help coordinate and will look into whether we could use DevSeed’s office in DC.

A dinner would be fun too, but I know evenings at AGU can get filled really quickly :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Definitely interested in a meetup/dinner

1 Like

I’m that neck of the woods so would be happy to meet up socially and/or sprint.

1 Like