Summer Job Opportunity: NASA SARP Coding Mentor

Hi Pangeo community,

I work for the NASA Student Airborne Research Program (SARP) and I am looking to hire a summer coding mentor to work with our undergraduate students.

SARP is a summer research program for rising senior undergraduates. The program includes a short airborne field campaign, local field trips, and guest lectures from a variety of NASA scientists. The bulk of the program is dedicated to mentoring the students through a 6-week long individual research project. Undergraduate students are supported by a faculty mentor and a graduate student in the field of their project as well as by a mentor dedicated to teaching programming, the Coding Mentor.

The Coding Mentor position is a blend of programming and earth science. In this role the mentor will teach programming lessons and hold office hours for the undergraduate students. Students have the option of working on a cloud JupyterHub, so the mentor has the chance to gain additional skills with earth science on the cloud. This is a full time position located in Newport News, VA. Housing and travel to and from Virginia is paid for by SARP. Program dates are June 16 - August 9. A more detailed position description is here. Being the SARP coding mentor is a great opportunity for growth in programming and leadership!

If anyone is interested in the position or would like to recommend someone for the position don’t hesitate to reach out to me at wegener@baeri.org. Also feel free to advertise this to any relevant groups, or suggest groups that you think may have interested applicants. I’m happy to answer follow up questions. Thanks, everyone!

3 Likes