Searching for panelist for Women in Data Science Hobart event

Hello everyone,

My name is Denisse Fierro Arcos, I am a PhD student based at IMAS in Hobart and a relatively new member to the Pangeo community. Together with a fellow PhD student, we are organising a Women in Data Science (WiDS) event in Hobart. This is an independently organised event that is supported by and will coincide with the annual WiDS Worldwide Conference held at Stanford University and at over 150 locations around the world.

Our plan is for WiDS Hobart to be a panel where women (including anyone who identifies as a woman) who are either Data Scientists or have incorporated Data Science in their work will discuss their career journey: the good, the bad and the ugly. The idea is to not only highlight the work women do in this area, but also inspire other women to become involved in Data Science.

So far we have three confirmed panelists (one PhD student and two at mid-career stage in academia and industry), but we are looking for another one or two women to complete our panel. Ideally we are looking for women who are in a more advanced stage of their career and/or from a developing nation so that we can provide a wide range of perspectives of what a career in Data Science looks like and to highlight the differences in the opportunities available and challenges faced across the world.

Our plan is for this event to happen in early March (either the 7th or 9th) and it will last for approximately two hours. We are hoping that we can go ahead with a hybrid event, but this will depend on COVID related restrictions.

If you or someone you know would be interested in sharing their story, we would love to hear from you. If you are based in Hobart, it would be even better. You could either comment below or get in touch with me directly at lilian.fierroarcos@utas.edu.au.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone,

Denisse

2 Likes

Hi Denisse! This sounds like an amazing event!

Question: are you looking for people based in or near Australia, or are you open to any location? If the latter, do you know what time of day the panel will take place to make sure timezones are accounted for?

I don’t know how urgent this is, but we can make sure to advertise this at our Pangeo Oceania meeting next Friday, Jan. 21st!

2 Likes

Hi Paige,

Initially we were thinking our panelists should be based in Hobart so they can all be at IMAS in person, but I think given the COVID situation, we may need to be more flexible and open the call to potential panelists anywhere in the world.

Ideally we will have our complete panelist list by the end of the month, so if you can advertise it during the next meeting, that’d be amazing!

2 Likes

Hi Paige,

Just letting you know that we have found two more awesome women to complete our panel, so there is no need to advertise it during the next Pangeo Oceania meeting. However, would we would appreciate if we could advertise the event during the February meeting.

1 Like

Great to hear! And very happy to advertise the event at the February meeting. Feel free to either post here or send me more details that we can share next month. :slight_smile: