Pangeo at AGU Fall Meeting 2022?

This is very late notice, but is there any interest in having a Pangeo-led session at the AGU Fall Meeting this December? The deadline to submit a proposal for a scientific session, innovative session, union session, town hall, or workshop is this Wednesday, April 20th. The meeting is both in person (in Chicago) and online. I plan to attend in person this year, and would be happy to lead a proposal if there is general interest from the community. Or perhaps there are other open science proposals already in the works?

A couple ideas:

• a scientific workshop (can be half or full day - I’d vote half day) showcasing scientific cloud computing (via Pangeo Cloud) and specific packages from the Pangeo community (e.g. Pangeo Forge). I picture this as a hands-on exercise with participants running Pangeo Cloud on their own computers.
  • an innovative session (can be 90 minutes, half day, or full day) or union session (90 minutes) similar to what was run at last year’s AGU Fall Meeting, with a mixture of content such as panel discussions, brief workshops, and poster presentations (link to details for Open Science in Action session at AGU 2021)
  • a town hall (60 minutes) with e.g. a panel discussion about open science benefits and challenges, with an open discussion with attendees about concerns or barriers to the success of open science practices

The AGU Fall Meeting this year will usher in the Year of Open Science (in 2023!), and I think it would be great to have some open science sessions this year to gear folks up for 2023! Pinging @cgentemann in case we can help support any TOPS-led session proposals (and to avoid any duplicate proposals)!

1 Like

Paige - For the NASA TOPS project we are planning several open science workshops / sessions for Fall 2022. It would be great if Pangeo wanted to also propose! Our Ocean Sciences innovation session worked great - maybe we can do something like that again? Anyone else interested in helping out?
chelle

2 Likes

Sounds great @cgentemann - thanks for your quick response! I agree that something along the lines of our Ocean Sciences session (see description here) could be great, with e.g. hands-on GitHub and Pangeo workshops.

If anyone wants to help organize, please respond in this thread! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi all! Is there an existing thread for all Pangeo community talks or posters at AGU?

@jukent Not yet that I’m aware of! I have a new draft post open that I started last week but hadn’t finished so never posted it :woman_facepalming:. I’ll add a few events that I’m aware of and post it tonight. Please add your own Pangeo-related events to it!

Great thanks! I’ll head over to that thread.

For anyone who found this thread - @paigem 's post is at Pangeo-related events at AGU 2022