European Pangeo Community

@pl.marasco, thanks for starting the discussion. I’m part of a project at the Alan Turing which aims to use and contribute to Pangeo through a set of use cases for the Environmental community. I’m keen also to discuss Pangeo strategy in a European context.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for all your replies!

1 Like

Dear all,

as we are approaching the dates would be nice to finalize the vote. @mechev, could you wrap up the vote and let us know the official date and time? Tnx

To all the others, it seems that the document is still almost empty. Once more, feel free to modify it as much as you like. Don’t be timid; at least put your name on it!

1 Like

Hi everyone, sorry for the late response and thanks to @rabernat for the ping!

I’m the CTO of B-Open, we are working for ECMWF and EUMETSAT on data processing pipelines using xarray, dask, GDAL and other tools in the scientific Python ecosystem.

I’m keen to join the discussion on Pangeo and I have just filled up the doodle poll.

1 Like

Hi all,

Is great to see such good response!

The Doodle pool gave Monday 28th of June as the winner; I have organized a meeting on Zoom. I have a free account so we have 40 mins, but that should be good enough for a good start, we can see afterwards where to go from there:

Mario Echeverri is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.

Topic: Pangeo-Europe Meet and Greet
Time: Jun 28, 2021 04:00 PM Amsterdam

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 823 2254 5591
Passcode: S3i7iK

2 Likes

I added a couple of points and change the title accordingly, great that you created this!

2 Likes

Ping also @WesleyTheGeolien, a bit late.

40 minutes feels quite short, I’m sure someone here does have a private account? We use Skype in my company so I don’t propose, this often cause troubles… I’ll try to ping those I know by mail.

1 Like

Following an email exchange with @geynard, I have just created a new invitation for a Zoom meeting on Monday 28 with our university account. Details below :

Topic: Pangeo-Europe Meet Up
Time: Jun 28, 2021 04:00 PM Paris

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 946 0519 3351
Passcode: 922684

see you all on Monday.

4 Likes

Count me in.

(And thanks @pl.marasco and @geynard for pushing this!)

2 Likes

Thanks for the new meeting @jlesommer ; I’ll cancel mine, see you on Monday!

This instance of the meeting has been cancelled; please be sure to join the one organized by @jlesommer (further down in the thread)

Hi everyone,

Just read this thread (I should keep track of this discussion forum a bit more). This week I’ve participated to some informal meetings about DigitalTwins where I’ve been showcasing and advocating the potential of the Pangeo tool stack (+ Xarray-simlab for the modelling part). Even though this was at a very small level (i.e., GFZ-Potsdam institution/department level), it has been received with great enthusiasm, which is worth to mention given that our community (Solid Earth) is not very advanced in in the use of Pangeo (nor even yet aware of it).

I’d be interested to join the meeting next Monday. Thanks for organizing it! (feel free to ping me in related discussions).

1 Like

I am very much hoping to join this meeting, but I may be in transit at the time. Could @jlesommer please post the telephone connection info for the Zoom meeting so I can dial in if need be? :phone: :laughing:

1 Like

@rabernat

Here is the full invitation inc. the phone connection info :

Topic: Pangeo-Europe Meet Up
Time: Jun 28, 2021 04:00 PM Paris

Join Zoom Meeting

One tap mobile
+33186995831,94605193351# France
+33170372246,94605193351# France

Dial by your location
+33 1 8699 5831 France
+33 1 7037 2246 France
+33 1 7037 9729 France
+33 1 7095 0103 France
+33 1 7095 0350 France
Find your local number: Zoom International Dial-in Numbers - Zoom

Join by SIP
94605193351@zoomcrc.com

Join by H.323
162.255.37.11 (US West)
162.255.36.11 (US East)
213.19.144.110 (Amsterdam Netherlands)
213.244.140.110 (Germany)

Dear all,

The first European Pangeo ‘Meet and Greet’ has been quite a success with 18 participants. During the discussion, many topics have been touched.
Here a shortlist of the outcomes:

• push the promotion of Pangeo through use-cases somehow related to Europe. The promotion will be focused on deploying use cases over Pangeo Gallery and Pythia Resource Gallery
  • get more visibility through European events like EGU22 - Home or ESA EO Phi-Week.
  • organize meetings focused on specific topics to help the community grow around shared interests.
  • we briefly discussed some differences between the US and EU, especially in approaching institutions and lobbying.
  • create a shared calendar and explore the possibility to open a gitter thread

As summer is approaching, we decided to start knowing each other through informal “coffee table” meetings. The first event will happen on the 6th of June at 4 pm (CET), and you are all invited. Here the link:

Launch Meeting - Zoom password: Pangeo2EU

I would like to thanks all the participants and especially @jlesommer that ‘chaired/co-chaired’ the meeting.

I am hoping to see all of you next week! And don’t be shy, you are all more than welcome!

5 Likes

The room on Gitter for general discussion based on European Pangeo matters has been created feel free to join it here: pangeo-data/Europe - Gitter

3 Likes

I was just wondering about this sort of thing. I’m glad to see this initiative!

2 Likes

Hi all,

(Please be sure to also check the Gitter channel frequently)

I’m sorry I missed the coffee this week; nevertheless I haven’t been sitting around, we have good news: the EGU22 session proposal is going well. As many of you probably know the proposals for sessions have a maximum number of 5 conveners; this is the classic format and there is not much space to change that right now.
We have gathered a team of 5 people based on a “sampling scheme” that tries to maximize the areas of study or application and regions covered. The other 4 conveners have given their availability and willingness to take ownership, however in case the overhead for one or two of them is higher than expected we will immediately ask around in our community.

The responsibility of these 5 people is to make sure everything goes smooth with the session (reviewing abstracts, promoting the session, logistics, actual presence at the event, etc.). The good news is that from conversations with the work groups of EGU, it seems clear that our Pangeo session would be very well received at the event!
I drafted a first version for the abstract or summary that is being reviewed by the other conveners. We will share it as soon as possible with the whole community, stay tuned!

Best,
Mario

Dear all, as we announced Pangeo Europe Official Meeting we are making poll for our next meeting date here ‘https://doodle.com/poll/ki36nnwvb7yfm4ig?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link’. We are looking forward to have your feed back. Hope to see you all soon. Tina

Ok folks, the meeting will be on the 9th of September at 5 pm CET!

Launch Meeting - Zoom password: Pangeo2EU

Pangeo European Meeting - notes

1 Like