Pangeo Showcase Organizers Discussion (was "Showcase Host Duty Checklist")

Here’s an abbreviated checklist of what I’ve been doing for the Pangeo Showcase talks this fall (Fall 2023). (partly in case there is a Government Shutdown…)

• Even though we prominently display the Speaker Interest Form, it seems not many people volunteer that way. They need to be invited and talked into it. So in August I reached out to folks I thought it would be good to hear from via Slack, Email, Github Discussions, etc and tried to persuade them to give a Pangeo Showcase talk. Once they said yes, I gave them a choice of several dates and said I’d get back to them.
  • I lined up the first 10 talks this way, and filled out the titles and presenters name on the Pangeo Showcase web page, without any links.
  • A couple of weeks before the talk, I send speakers the Speaker Information Form, which populates the Speaker Info spreadsheet.
  • This provides the information to fill out the pre-talk Pangeo Discourse post.
  • On the Monday or Tuesday the week of the talk, I send an announcement via Twitter/X, including a link to the pre-talk Discourse post, and reach out to the presenter to make sure they haven’t forgotten and to address an issues.
  • I edit the Pangeo weekly meeting Google doc to add the new meeting, using the meeting templates at the end of the document.
  • On the day of the meeting I start the Numfocus Account Zoom meeting at least 5 minutes early drop the meeting doc link into the chat, and pin it.
  • I click on “start recording” and select “save meeting to cloud” instead of “save meeting locally” in case my computer craps out.
  • After the talk I download the video, upload it to the the Pangeo YouTube Channel (adding it to the Pangeo Showcase playlist), upload the video to create a Zenodo document in the Pangeo community, and then add a post-talk Discourse post that just contains 1. the DOI to Zenodo, and 2. the link to the video on youtube.
  • I then modify the link on the Pangeo showcase web site to point to the post-talk Discourse post instead of the pre-talk post.
  • I then have a Manhattan…
3 Likes