Pangeo at Ocean Sciences Meeting 2022?

Are there any Pangeo-related sessions being proposed for OSM 2022? I know the workshop from OSM 2020 was a big hit, so I think there could be a lot of interest for something similar in 2022. There are several format options including regular scientific sessions, tutorials, and innovative sessions, as well as hybrid virtual and in-person.

Deadline is May 26, and more info on session proposals can be found here.

Anyone interested in putting together a proposal?

Pinging a few folks who might be interested or know people who might be: @rabernat @cgentemann @jbusecke @hillaryscannell

2 Likes

Paige, thanks for keeping us aware of all the conference deadlines! This is a really important service you are doing here.

Yes, letā€™s definitely try to make a big showing at OSM 2020! I think we do have enough breadth in our community to fill a session, although it would also be nice to partner with folks from ESIP (cc @rsignell) to get a broader and more inclusive session. We could also consider the ā€œInnovative Sessionā€ option:

The Ocean Sciences Meeting is calling for innovative session proposals that can integrate virtual participation and presentation in a dynamic way through multiple engagement formats. These scientifically-focused events provide a chance for in-depth discussion and collaboration. Sessions should be executed in multiple presentation formats.

Innovative session proposals will be evaluated by the Ocean Sciences Meeting Program Committee (OSMPC) on scientific merit, the benefit for both remote and in-person attendees, technological feasibility, cost, and likelihood of success. Additionally, the Program Committee will consider the breadth and impact of the proposal toward showcasing OSM-related science and science-related issues. Conveners with a new vision of effective interactive presentation and discussion formats for ocean scientists should consider submitting.

A Pangeo tutorial where we actually teach people stuff would also be great, but Iā€™m not sure it fits with the the OSM definition of tutorial:

Tutorial talks are meant to provide a review and synthesis of multiple results across a field of study, and not be primarily a presentation of the proposerā€™s own work. These talks should be designed to have a broad appeal to participants seeking an overview of a given topic. Tutorial talks are 30 minutes in length.

This is a great idea. Happy to be part of this. I could show some ā€œCMIP6 in the cloudā€ related stuff if that is of interest.

Thanks @rabernat and @jbusecke for your input. @rabernat - thanks for including the wording of the session types here. Youā€™re right that a hands-on Pangeo workshop may not fit the scope of a tutorial, though I think it could work (e.g. we can say that the tutorial is an interactive way of giving an overview of what Pangeo is).

But I also like the idea of doing an innovative session, as it fits with the Pangeo being an innovative community. :slight_smile: One thing I would really like to see more of is mini hackathons at science conferences - getting people on GitHub and submitting PRs. I think this is something I struggled with (and still do). Everyone says that they welcome any contributions to open source software packages, but using GitHub was a reasonable barrier for me. So anyway, it may be too much to take on, but if we could integrate some talks and/or discussions with some hands-on exercises and include the step of contributing something back to the community (perhaps with the goal of updating/adding to documentation or examples on Pangeo gallery), that could be really useful for folks and could help expand the community.

1 Like

I like the idea of an innovative session & mini hackathons!
Start editing here?

Great, glad you are interested @cgentemann, and thanks for kicking off a shared document for brainstorming. :slightly_smiling_face:

I made a few comments on the document, mainly about the general structure of the session. A couple items I think would be worth discussing (also mentioned in comments on the Google Doc):

• Should we propose a general open science session, or decide on something more tailored to the Pangeo and/or ocean sciences community?
  • How long should the innovative session be - a full day (6 hours)? I like the idea of a full day, as we could include both oral presentations, as well as time for hackathons. But, a full day is a large fraction of a 5-day meetingā€¦
  • I like the idea of the 6-5-30 session type, where there are 6 5-minute talks and then a 30-minute discussion. I think these would be a great way to allow for folks in the community to show off open sources packages they are using and the science that has resulted from open source tools.
  • Iā€™m glad thereā€™s support for a mini-hackathon idea! I think we would want to devote a reasonable amount of time (at least 2 hours?) if we really want to do a hands-on hackathon/workshop type activity.

Thoughts? @jbusecke @rabernat @cgentemann? Happy to have a quick chat with those interested! Did anyone from ESIP (e.g. @rsignell @douglasrao) want to join in? :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks for including me in the conversation, @paigem! I really like the hackathon idea since it can be really crucial to engaging new users.
As people are more comfortable with virtual activities, we could try to split some activities into pre-OSM time and maybe using the OSM as a time for participants to gather/share/improve as part of the innovative session? As you said, when people do travel back in person, a one-day event in a five-day conference can be a big chunk of time. But pre-OSM event idea means that organizers need to commit additional time for organizing virtual activities.

1 Like

Thanks @douglasrao for the suggestions! I think your idea of holding pre-OSM activities makes a lot of sense, but I also donā€™t know if we can pull that together for this upcoming OSM. Also, I often find the weeks leading up to a conference are very busy preparing for the conference itself, and so I wonder how much participation we would get. I think, instead, this session can hopefully bring folks together for learning/discussions, and then ideally these discussions can continue on, e.g. a Slack group, on GitHub, and/or at the weekly Pangeo meetings. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks everyone for getting this started! I just read the document and this sounds like something I would 110% attend!
I particularly like the idea of the recipe hackathon. This seems like an exercise where something really meaningful can be achieved in that short time. One of the open questions for me was about how the splitting of groups/breakout rooms will be handled? Do you envision a ā€˜skill-pollā€™ before the workshop and then aim to get a good mix of skills toghether in each group? Or do you want to sort more by skill and then maybe provide some more support for beginner level groups?

2 Likes

Thanks @jbusecke for your input!

Regarding the small groups, you raise very good questions! And my answer for now is: Iā€™m not sure! I think that I will submit the session as is, but this is something we will want to discuss if the session is accepted.

Update: session proposal has been submitted! Thanks to everyone for your input!! :slight_smile:

2 Likes