Survey on user requirements for Big Earth data - Results and Summary

Hi all,
you might be interested in the results of a survey on 'User requirements for Big Earth data’ which I conducted in 2019 in collaboration with the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts (ECMWF) and the Laboratory for Climatology and Remote Sensing (LCRS) at Philipps University Marburg.

The survey outcomes have been published as two peer-reviewed articles:

• Wagemann, J., Siemen, S., Seeger, B. & J. Bendix (2021): Users of open Big Earth data - An analysis of the current state. Computers and Geosciences 2021. doi: 10.1016/j.cageo.2021.104916
  • Wagemann, J., Siemen, S., Seeger, B. & J. Bendix (2021): A user perspective on future cloud-based services for Big Earth data. International Journal of Digital Earth 2021. doi:10.1080/17538947.2021.1982031

The first article has a focus on how users of Big Earth data currently handle and process the data and what challenges they face.

The second article focuses on how users would like to work with emerging technologies, such as cloud-based services in the future and compares user groups based on work sectors and geographical region.

I prepared a set of summary slides for both articles, together with the recommendation I draw from the survey outcomes.

I hope you find the outcomes of the survey of interest. Feel free to get in touch if you have any questions.

2 Likes

The first article is openly available until mid November.

The publisher of the second article provides 50 free eprints which are available here.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing Julia! This is super informative. The results are quite aligned with our thinking within Pangeo. Looking forward to seeing what comes next.