What You Will Do :
NOAA’s Office of Coast Survey (OCS), the largest program office within the National Ocean Service, was originally formed by President Thomas Jefferson in 1807. Coast Survey maintains the nation’s nautical charts, surveys the coastal seafloor, responds to national maritime emergencies, develops and evaluates 3-D oceanographic forecast modeling systems for coastal waters, and searches for underwater obstructions and wreckage.
In support of the OCS, this position will work as part of a small team on the design and development of cloud-native serverless and/or container-based solutions to support geospatial data processing and management and oceanographic forecast model development and operations. This position will assist in developing functional, performance, and capacity testing tools, and will help to analyze test results that will be used to evaluate the correctness and capabilities of system deployments in a cloud environment.
This position will support the NOAA Data Processing and Precision Navigation Dissemination System and the National Ocean Service/Office of Coast Survey’s NOAA nowCOAST GIS web mapping portal (https://nowcoast.noaa.gov) through design, development, testing, implementation, and support of cloud-based data acquisition, processing, ingest, and dissemination software along with supporting cloud infrastructure using modern Agile and DevOps software development practices.
This position will support OCS’ projects to develop, test, and run numerical oceanographic modeling systems on High Performance Computing (HPC) clusters in the cloud using AWS HPC solution components (e.g. AWS ParallelCluster). The position would also assist in developing software to post-process and analyze output from the forecast models using AWS services (e.g. Amazon Athena). The work will be conducted using modern Agile and DevOps software development practices.
This position will be located at the Coastal Marine Modeling Branch in OCS Coast Survey Development Laboratory, with locations in either Silver Spring, Maryland or Durham, New Hampshire.
- Work on small DevOps team to operate, monitor, and maintain high-reliability cloud-based infrastructure and applications using a variety of software including Docker, Kubernetes, Prometheus, InfluxDB, and Grafana, and various cloud Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) and Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) offerings.
- Develop event-based, parallel, distributed geospatial data processing solutions using Amazon Web Services (AWS) Lambda, Step Functions, and/or other cloud-native technologies to ingest and process near-real-time NOAA datasets and develop and operate HPC-required numerical oceanographic forecast modeling systems.
- Configure, test, and optimize container-based application deployments for running on scalable cloud-hosted infrastructure using Docker, Kubernetes, and other related software.
- Develop software libraries and tools for automating the configuration, deployment, and administration of open source geospatial web services infrastructure based on PostgreSQL relational database management system, GeoServer, GeoWebCache tiling server, nginx web server, and/or other open source software packages.
- Collaborate on the design and development of front-end web applications using OpenLayers, ReactJS and Material UI for data access and visualization.
- Develop automated testing frameworks for evaluating system functionality, performance, capacity, and security compliance using industry-standard testing practices and toolkits.
- Integrate software building, testing, and deployment processes with Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery pipelines to facilitate rapid but well-tested deployment of new application versions.
Type: Full time, exempt.
Position Term: regular, no term.
Application Deadline: This position will be posted until a sufficient number of applications is received.
Relocation: No relocation package is offered for this position.
Work Authorization: UCAR/NCAR will not sponsor a work visa to fill this position.
Hiring Range: $72,935 - $91,170
Full Salary Range: $72,935 - $91,170 - $118,520
Benefits: UCAR affirms its continuing commitment to developing, providing, and administering its employee benefit programs with due consideration for equal employment opportunity and diversity guidelines. UCAR’s rich package of employee benefits includes medical, dental, vision, education assistance, retirement, and life insurance. UCAR offers a variety of programs designed to assist with work-life balance including flexible work alternatives, paid time off and 14 weeks of paid parental leave.
Apply at: Workday