SciPy 2022 Events

The SciPy conference is taking place from July 11-17! For those attending, there are some sessions/events that Pangeo folks might be interested in joining! I’ll start this discussion with one, but please add more relevant events in this thread!

Pangeo Community Gathering (Birds of a Feather session)
Friday, July 15 at 5:40 - 6:40pm
Time for the Pangeo community to come together and discuss the short- and long-term goals for the Pangeo community, as well as a time to meet Pangeo folks! We also plan to organize a group dinner/social outing immediately after this session (details will be shared closer to the time).

4 Likes

Dask Tutorial: Scaling the PyData Ecosystem (Natalia Clementi, Julia Signell, Jacob Tomlinson)
Tutorial, Monday, July 11, 8:00am-12:00 pm

Xarray: Friendly, Interactive, and Scalable Scientific Data Analysis (Scott Henderson, Jessica Scheick, Emma Marshall, Anderson Banihirwe, Tom Nicholas, Deepak Cherian)
Tutorial, Monday, July 11, 1:30 - 5:30 pm

hvPlot and HoloViz: Visualize all your data easily, from notebooks to dashboards (James Bednar, Jean-Luc Stevens, Philipp Rudiger, Maxime Liquet)
Tutorial, Monday, July 11, 1:30 - 5:30 pm

——

Earth, Ocean, & Geo mini-symposium
Wednesday, July 13, 10:45 am - 4:35 pm (Room 204)

Lots of interesting talks including:

Cutting Edge Climate Science in the Cloud with Pangeo (Julius Busecke)
1:15 - 1:45

Enabling petabyte-scale ocean data analytics on staggered grids through the grid ufunc protocol in xGCM (Thomas Nicholas, Julius Busecke)
3:25 - 3:55

——

Pangeo Forge: Crowdsourcing Open Data in the Cloud (Ryan Abernathey)
Thursday, July 14, 10:45 AM to 11:15 AM

Accelerating ETL/SQL workloads with RAPIDS-Dask + Dask-SQL (Charles Blackmon-Luca)
Thursday, July 14, 4:30 - 5:00 pm

Dask User’s Round-table - BOF (Jim Crist-Harif, Naty Clementi)
Thursday, July 14, 6:30 PM to 7:25 PM
——

Keynote - SciPy in Climate Science (Peter Kalmus)
Friday, July 15, 9:15 - 10:00 am

Pangeo Community Gathering (Birds-of-a-Feather session)
Friday, July 15 at 5:40 - 6:40pm
(group dinner afterward)

2 Likes

Session planning document for the Pangeo BoF is in this Google Doc. Please feel free to add topic discussions!

Don’t forget my talk!

Pangeo Forge: Crowdsourcing Open Data in the Cloud (Ryan Abernathey)
Thursday, July 14, 10:45 AM to 11:15 AM

1 Like

Woohoo it’ll be great to see some Pangeo folks!

You might be interested in the other tutorial I’m running, it’s going to be a gentle introduction to using GPUs with Numba, Cupy and cuDF. These tools should slot quite nicely into existing work if you’re interested in dipping your toes into accelerated computing in Python and have the hardware.

GPU development with Python 101 (Jacob Tomlinson, Charles Blackmon-Luca)
Tutorial, Tuesday, July 12, 1:30 - 5:30 pm

2 Likes

An easy option, while not the most exciting one, would be to go to the Scholz Beer Garten again (the SciPy reception will be held there on Wednesday). Advantages are that it’s close to the ATT Center, can accommodate pretty much any size we are likely to have without reservation, and the menu is decent. But certainly welcome to other suggestions!

1 Like

That sounds great to me Rich!

I agree, the Scholz Biergarten looks great, Rich! The one downside is that it closes at 8pm. By the time we finish the BoF and get ourselves there it will probably be 7pm or a little after, which doesn’t leave much time for socializing.

But happy to head to Scholz initially and then we can self organize any later plans.

Also during the Wednesday Earth/Ocean/Geo mini-symposium, I’ll be presenting Project Pythia: A Community-built Training Resource for the Geoscientific Python Software Ecosystem. Several of us from the Pythia team will be in Austin as well! Looking forward to catching up with the Pangeo folks!

1 Like

Great addition to the list Kevin! Really excited to get an update on Pythia.

1 Like