Scientific Researcher at University of South Florida College of Marine Science

Hello All,

I am hiring a Scientific Researcher to join my group here at the University of South Florida College of Marine Science in Saint Petersburg, Florida, USA. I am a chemical oceanographer focusing on the marine carbonate system and the ocean’s role in the carbon cycle and climate. I use both observations (traditional shipboard measurements, biogeochemical sensor data from autonomous platforms) and Earth System model output to answer my research questions. Please see the job ad here and let me know if you have any questions. Thank you!

Position Details

Dept Number/Name: 0-2500-000 / College of Marine Science

College Division: Academic Affairs - College of Marine Science

Salary Plan: Administrative

Job Code/Title: 4710 / Scientific Researcher

Hiring Salary/Salary Range: $55,000 - $70,000

Position Number: 00043328

The position is available immediately, with an initial 1-year appointment. The appointment can be extended, contingent upon satisfactory performance and funding availability.

The College of Marine Science at the University of South Florida (USF) is seeking a Scientific Researcher in the field of chemical oceanography. This position collaborates with a principal investigator to conduct research in ocean carbonate system chemistry to understand the ocean’s role in the carbon cycle and in climate. This requires in-depth and practical knowledge of ocean carbon system chemistry as well as specialized research equipment and measurement protocols.

Responsibilities include, but not limited to:

• Provides design support and supervision of field sampling operations.
  • Conducts in-lab scientific research and training of students/technicians in measurement and data processing protocols.
  • Deploys and analyzes data from remote biogeochemical sensors on ships and autonomous platforms, collects and analyzes discrete samples for carbonate system analysis, and analyzes output from numerical models such as Earth System Models.
  • Prepares research papers as co-author for publication in peer-reviewed journals, prepares project reports, and contributes significantly to the preparation of grant proposals.

Minimum Qualifications: This position requires a Master’s degree in a natural science related to the specific area of research and two years of research experience. Doctoral study in a directly related field may substitute for the required experience. There is no substitution of experience allowed for the Master’s degree, as that is a mandatory qualification for positions assigned to this job class.

Preferred Qualifications: Master’s degree in Chemical Oceanography. Proficiency with data analysis using the python programming language and version control. Experience with wet and analytical chemistry is strongly preferred.

Please follow the link above for the full job posting and directions on how to apply.

1 Like