Pangeo Showcase: "VAPOR Python: A 3D Data Visualization Python API for Earth Science Datasets"

Title: “VAPOR Python: A 3D Data Visualization Python API for Earth Science Datasets”
Invited Speaker: Nihanth Cherukuru (ORCID: 0000-0002-3510-7858)
When: Wednesday, Feb 28, 4PM EST
Where: Launch Meeting - Zoom
Abstract: VAPOR is an open-source, interactive 3D visualization and analysis platform developed by the NSF-National Center for Atmospheric Research. It was designed specifically to meet the advanced visualization needs of the geosciences community and operates primarily on 3D arrays of time-varying, gridded data arising from numerical simulations. It supports many of the commonly used file formats and computational meshes used in geosciences including layered curvilinear grids, layered unstructured grids, and Arakawa grids. It has advanced rendering capabilities such as Direct Volume Rendering and natively understands geo-referenced data with the ability to combine geo-referenced data from multiple datasets within the same scene [Li et al., 2019]. Since its initial release in 2007, VAPOR has had three significant updates and numerous minor releases expanding on the features driven primarily by the input from our user community. The recently released version 3.8 brings these advanced visualization capabilities to the Python ecosystem through the VAPOR python API. In this talk, we’ll provide an overview of VAPOR featuring the Python API and share how users can engage and contribute to the ongoing development efforts.

• 20 minutes - Community Showcase
  • 40 minutes - Showcase discussion/Community check-ins
2 Likes

I’m surprised I haven’t come across these visualisations before. I thought the Straits Times article demo’d was one of the coolest things I’ve seen (linked here) - reminded me of CarbonPlan’s webpages. I’m going to give VAPOR a try - thanks for sharing!

1 Like