We have an opening for a software engineer / data scientist at CarbonPlan that may be a great fit for a someone in the Pangeo community.
CarbonPlan is a non-profit working on the data and science of carbon removal and climate solutions.
We aim to ensure the quality, scientific integrity, and transparency of climate solutions, and we work across a range of approaches — forests, soil, air capture, mineralization, energy, and more. We analyze solutions based on the best available science and data and build open source tools and data products. We work directly with decision makers across the public and private sector to help them achieve ambitious climate goals. You can read more about our work on our website.
As the first Software engineer / Data scientist on our Technology team, you will contribute to CarbonPlan’s core technical and scientific activities, filling a hybrid role that includes data engineering, data analysis, machine learning, data visualization, and web development. Our core software tools are open source, and we build visualizations for broad audiences. If you’re excited about being part of a small and scrappy team tackling big problems, please apply!
- Design and build data analysis tools and rich interactive data visualizations on carbon removal and other climate solutions
- Interact closely with CarbonPlan’s entire team, including the strategy and policy side of our work
- Produce open source tools and public datasets
- Learn about climate science and carbon removal technology
- Contribute to existing open source software libraries
You should have:
- Passion about our mission
- 3-5+ years experience with scientific Python
- 1-3+ experience with statistical modeling and machine learning in an applied setting
- A portfolio of your work (e.g. open source code, websites, papers, etc.)
You’ll be an especially good fit if you have:
- Data analytics experience in Python with Pandas, Xarray, and/or Dask
- Machine Learning experience using frameworks such as Scikit-Learn, Pytorch, and/or TensorFlow
- Geospatial data analysis and visualization experience
- Background in one or more relevant domains (ecology, material science, biogeochemistry, energy technologies or systems, climate science, climate policy, social justice)
- Software development experience using version control, continuous integration, etc.
You should include in your application:
- A link to your portfolio (GitHub, website, etc.).
- Your CV or a link to your LinkedIn profile
- A paragraph on why you are excited about CarbonPlan
CarbonPlan is an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to building an inclusive and diverse workplace. Addressing climate change requires confronting systems that create inequity and injustice, and doing so will require a team with culturally diverse perspectives. All qualified applications — regardless of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, sexual identity, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, and any other occupationally irrelevant criteria — will receive full consideration. We especially encourage applications from individuals from underrepresented groups in science, technology, and environmental organizations.
We are committed to providing competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits to our employees. We offer fixed salary levels based on experience and role to minimize biases in compensation and to ensure team members are paid the same for doing the same work. We expect this position to be at an annual salary of $90,000 USD based on the experience required for the role. As we are still developing our team, we may also consider a more senior position in a related role, so please still consider applying if this description is not an exact fit.
We are not currently able to sponsor a visa for this position, and therefore can only consider applications from people who are already authorized to work in the United States. We are based primarily in San Francisco, but currently work remotely. The hiring manager for this role is in Seattle. Remote work from any location on Pacific or Mountain Time works for us!