EGU2022 Great Debate on OS

This topic is for all who want to contribute to the organisation of a Great Debate on Open Science at EGU 2022 General Assembly:
https://meetingorganizer.copernicus.org/EGU22/session/42789

3 Likes

Hi all, so now that the Great Debate has been officially approved, we can go back to the panelists we had started inviting to get confirmation of their availability, and maybe add more. Below is the list of those we have reached out to, or intend to [and which angle we expect them to cover].
Jamie, Stan, Remko, Leonardo: can you get back to the speakers you invited and inform them that this is going ahead?
all: can you suggest anyone else you think could bring a significant addition?
Thanks!
PANELISTS

• Christopher Jackson (Chair in sustainable geoscience at University of Manchester) [ covers researcher perspective] - invited by Jamie
  • Ashley Farley (Program Officer - Knowledge & Research Services at Gates Foundation) [covers open access publishing] - invited by Stan
  • scientist (TBC) at Deltares [covers private company perspective] - invited by Remko
  • officer at European Commission DG for research and innovation (possibly from the Open Science unit RTD.A.4:
    Open Science - EU Whoiswho - Publications Office of the EU) [covers public funder perspective] - Francesca to ask EGU policy officer to help on this
  • research software engineer at Software Sustainability Institute [covers open-source software] - who has contact there? Leonardo?
2 Likes

Hi Francesca, I can reach out to folks at the SSI. Did we decide if remote participation was an option or just in-person? I don’t remember but I’m sure we talked about it :slightly_smiling_face: The possibility of remote makes it easier for people to say “yes” if they weren’t planning on attending EGU.

1 Like

I am not sure if that’s an option, good point! I will ask EGU organisers about this and cc you in, so you know. This said, if you want to start getting in touch with people at SSI and gauge their interest, pls go ahead!

1 Like

Chris Jackson has reconfirmed that he’s happy to be involved.

Ashley Farley also inquired about remote participation, so I will tell her for the time being that we will come back to her about it.

Hi all, this is the response from EGU:
“Great Debates will take place in lecture rooms inside the conference centre. These stand-alone sessions will be live-streamed as in previous years so that virtual attendees can follow them in real time. If necessary, speakers/panelists can participate online. Please follow the page EGU22 - Provisional meeting format for any updates.”
So, yes panelists can attend from remote. This said, I think it would be good to keep the number of remote panelists as low as possible - do you agree?

I agree that the format is probably more suited to in-person presenting, but it’s good to have some flexibility if it looks like we will struggle to get enough panellists otherwise.

I received a confirmation from Deltares that they want to join the debate. The name is not fixed yet, but at least Albrecht Weerts will be joining EGU in person.

Hi all, thanks for the good news! I will tell Ashley then that remote participation is possible as a worst case scenario. OK?

Updates on panelists

• Christopher Jackson (Chair in sustainable geoscience at University of Manchester) [ covers researcher perspective] - Confirmed
  • Ashley Farley (Program Officer - Knowledge & Research Services at Gates Foundation) [covers open access publishing] - invited by Confirmed - remote only
  • scientist (TBC) at Deltares [covers private company perspective] - invited by Remko
  • officer at European Commission DG for research and innovation (possibly from the Open Science unit RTD.A.4:
    Open Science - EU Whoiswho - Publications Office of the EU) [covers public funder perspective] - Francesca to ask EGU policy officer to help on this
  • research software engineer at Software Sustainability Institute [covers open-source software] - who has contact there? Leonardo ?

7/January/2022 - UPDATE ON PANELISTS

• Christopher Jackson (University of Manchester) [ covers researcher perspective] - Confirmed
  • Ashley Farley (Knowledge & Research Services at Gates Foundation) [open access publishing] - invited by Stan Confirmed - remote only
  • Sally Ramsey [open access publishing] - invited by Stan (could be in-person replacement of A. Farley or addition if EGU turns out online only)
  • scientist (TBC) at Deltares [covers private company perspective] - invited by Remko Confirmed (not a name yet)
  • officer at European Commission - Francesca to chaise EGU policy officer to help on this
  • research software engineer at Software Sustainability Institute [covers open-source software] - @leouieda : any news on that!?
  • (backup plan for open-software: Riccardo can invite someone from GRASS-GIS developing team)

This conversation is now closed as the event has passed. If you want to read a summary of the Great Debate discussion, see:

1 Like