What's Next - Software

On 2023-12-06 several folks met and discussed "What’s next for Pangeo” organized by @TomNicholas . This article collects links to other sub-topics below. I propose that people engage asynchronously on those topics for a bit, and based on the activity we decide what to discuss synchronously.

Sub-topics include:

Pinging individuals who expressed interest in this topic: @jack_kelly @maxrjones @norlandrhagen @weiji14 @kafitzgerald @TomAugspurger @jbednar @Michael_Sumner @Thomas_Moore (or at least the nine people that Discourse will let me ping (I’ll reach out to James Bourbeau and Deepak Cherian and Justus Magin and Andrew Huang Separately)

4 Likes

You’re doing god’s work here Matt! I will try to go through what you’ve posted across the various threads.

(@dcherian @jrbourbeau @keewis @ahuang11)

Apparently God is community organizer.

2 Likes

For completeness, someone also brought up the need for better software to handle regridding, but I think just mentioning that is enough because there were no volunteers to actually dive in and attack that in a concerted way. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m definitely interested in helping to speed up regridding (because that’s a bottleneck for us, too). But I probably won’t get round to doing anything useful on this topic for at least a year! Maybe longer…

The regridding bullet point was an attempt to nerd-snipe someone(s) into fleshing out the prototype that Ryan showed is possible (here Conservative Region Aggregation with Xarray, Geopandas and Sparse).

@keewis also said

(I have something like this working in https://github.com/IAOCEA/xarray-healpy, where the name is not that descriptive… it really is just general regridding using a tree and numba to do bilinear interpolation)

IMO this would be a great project for an institution to take ownership of - it requires sustained effort to flesh out, but would certainly be extremely widely used. But anyone interested in that should probably go to the thread linked above.