Recommended method for raster to shapefile aggregation?

I searched around a bit but couldn’t quite find if there was a Pangeo-related Python tool for converting data in gridded format (NetCDF/Zarr) to shape-file type of data - for instance, calculating the mean annual temperature for each state in the US (or total rainfall, etc.), using ERA5 or ERA5-Land.

Not sure if there is a straightforward workflow or tool to do this? Would really appreciate any suggestions on this. Thanks!

2 Likes

Try create masks of geographical regions — regionmask 0.8.1.dev0+gc47cc00.d20210908 documentation

2 Likes

Two other packages that people like:

We would love to hear back from which of these packages best met your needs!

3 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion @aaronspring and @rabernat! Will take a look at these tools and see what works well. Absolutely, will provide comments once I’ve had a look.

Searching for zonal stats might help you find some related tools and discussions.
e.g. python - Computing annual spatial (zonal) statistics of a NetCDF file for polygons in shape-file - Geographic Information Systems Stack Exchange

1 Like

xarray-spatial + Datashader can do this, but I see that Zonal — xarray_spatial 0.2.9 documentation is currently showing an error (which I just reported).