NSF Geosciences Open Science Ecosystem (GEO OSE) Program Solicitation

Hi everyone,

The NSF Directorate for Geosciences recently posted a very interesting new funding opportunity, Geosciences Open Science Ecosystem (GEO OSE). The priority goals for this opportunity include (quoting):

(i) improve the openness and scientific value of the existing network of cyberinfrastructure resources in the geosciences and related fields, such as data repositories, open-source software communities, and shared computing resources (e.g., high-performance and cloud computing), including via alignment on and adoption of common data and metadata standards that advance access and interoperability;
(ii) democratize access to cyberinfrastructure capabilities that enable innovative geosciences research and education, including by advancing cloud-based approaches and workflows;
(iii) strengthen the capacity of current and future geoscientists to access, utilize, and collaborate within the growing ecosystem of open science resources; and
(iv) contribute to advancing open science principles within the geosciences, including (but not limited to) the FAIR Guiding Principles for scientific data management and stewardship (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable), the CARE Principles for Indigenous Data Governance (Collective Benefit, Authority to Control, Responsibility, and Ethics), and the TRUST Principles for digital repositories (Transparency, Responsibility, User focus, Sustainability, and Technology), as well as Reproducibility and Replicability.

Hopefully this is of interest to some members of the community.

• Daniel
9 Likes

Thanks for sharing Daniel. Iā€™m interested in this funding opportutnity looking for potential colloborators.

At 2i2c, weā€™ve been deploying a number of Pangeo-like JupyterHub instances and I think a good business case could be made for the NSF to fund cloud-based platform that would enable many geoscience related research groups (each of which might be too small on their own to fund a cloud-based platform) continued access to a shared hub.

Related, I like to see more documented case studies of how geosciences are actually being done with the approaches that have been innovated by the Pangeo community. I think these could serve as useful training and resources for geoscientists.

5 Likes

I fully support @jmunroeā€™s intention to go after this proposal! I think the Pangeo community would be an excellent fit for the solicitation, and that James will be a great lead.

Many of the the people who led the first wave of Pangeo proposals (myself, @jhamman, @kmpaul) have moved on to new roles where it doesnā€™t make sense to be going after grants. We are very excited to keep collaborating, but a new cohort of PIs will have to step up if we want to keep Pangeo funded in the same way it has been. :clap: to James for his leadership!

He will need more collaborating institutions to make this a success, and I know there are other folks out there eager to take on more leadership roles in the project!

2 Likes

Iā€™d be happy to represent Anaconda in providing tooling support for new Pangeo-related initiatives, so Iā€™d appreciate being included in discussions.

3 Likes

Hi all,

Briefly I just want to mention that Iā€™m looking carefully at this solicitation too. It looks like a great fit for pushing forward with the educational efforts of Project Pythia, among other things. Iā€™ve spoken briefly offline with @clyne about this. I think thereā€™s scope for a multi-institution collaboration on Pythia / Pangeo related work under ā€œTrack 2ā€. I may attempt to organize a brainstorming session for next week among interested Pangeans @jmunroe @jbednar

3 Likes

We are also very interested in this particular from point of view to expand the use of open environmental data from NOAA and other places and engage with communities beyond universities. So would love to join the conversation to see if we can contribute.

1 Like

We on the Unidata Python side of things would definitely be interested in collaborating, whether thatā€™s through some more MetPy work or more on the training material/Pythia side of things.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be very interested in joining any brainstorming sessions to represent CarbonPlan, as weā€™re generally interested in how this ecosystem is evolving and ways we might contribute.

2 Likes

On the education side of things, UW eScience might be a good collaborator as the parent org of a lot of the HackWeek programs. I know for OceanHackWeek, weā€™re already working with 2i2c for our hub, and I believe a bunch of the other HackWeeks are too.

It probably wouldnā€™t fit with an education proposal, but I think it could fund some work on building out an Xpublish ecosystem (which I should probably post about here at some point) under ā€˜cyberinfrastructure with common standardsā€™.

2 Likes

Iā€™m also interested in attending the brainstorming sessions.

1 Like

I would also be interested!

1 Like

I am interested in this as well - should we setup an availability poll to find time to chat?

1 Like

I think we now have a critical mass and is time to organize a virtual meet up for sometime in the next week or two.

Iā€™ll prepare a list of possible times and solicit feedback for a time.

3 Likes

With ESIP going on next week, I wonā€™t have a lot of availability but the week after look fairly open. Please add in your own availability here and weā€™ll find a time for a bit of a kick-off to this grant planning opportunity: PANGEO GEO OSE - When2meet

Thanks!

Hi @brian-rose , LinkedEarth is planning on participating as well in the paleo space.
Our growing collection of cloud-based educational tutorials leveraging the Python open science ecosystem (some using pangeo tools, particularly pangeo-forge and Xarray) may be of use to you if you need to demonstrate paleo use cases or simply incorporate some of our tutorials into Project Pythia.

Thanks for the replies everyone. From the feedback received, letā€™s go with Wednesday, February 1 at 1:00 pm ET. Feel free to invite anyone who might be interested to have a discussion on a path forward on this NSF GEO OSE grant for Pangeo.

Iā€™ve create a Zoom link for the meeting:

4 Likes

In case people missed the webinar from NSF - here are the recording and presentation materials from NSF GEO. They really emphasized that this is not for specific scientific research but rather improving the open science ecosystem/support to help geoscience research & education.

Iā€™ve created a Google Doc for notes for the meeting starting today at 1pm ET: Pangeo NSF GEO OSE Planning Meeting - Google Docs

1 Like

Thanks for those who were able to joining the meeting. There are minutes/transcript in the above Google Doc. There clearly is a lot of support and excitement in going for this grant opportunity and it feels very timely for the Pangeo community.

The immediate next step is to have a small writing group gather to draft a one-pager to send to the NSF Program Manager to confirm the scope of a Track 2 submission: Friday, Feb 3, 1pm ET: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/84449111720?pwd=OTBXQUw5NFEyVVZkODJMNW5sWEZpZz09

Weā€™ll circulate that draft for comments prior to sending it on to NSF.

Well I was planning on attending, but unfortunately I am terrible at timezones.

1 Like