Apply online: https://jobs.tufts.edu/jobs/16283
This is a one (1) year limited term assignment and this role would not be eligible for any severance upon ending.
Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is a university-wide service organization committed to delivering technology solutions in support of Tufts’ mission of teaching, learning, research, innovation, and sustainability. With staff across all of Tufts’ campuses, as well as a 24x7 IT Service Desk, we collaborate with schools and divisions to meet the demands of a global, mobile community. We promote a collaborative, flexible work environment, embrace diversity and inclusion, and encourage personal and professional development. Learn more about TTS on our website.
The Data Intensive Studies Center (DISC) is a university-wide, interdisciplinary center dedicated to data-intensive research and pedagogy, studying the science of data and its use in application domains that span the breadth of the university. The center will build on existing strengths at Tufts and provide a structure to help realize the promise of the Tufts T10 Strategic Plan. DISC will also create a collaborative, application-driven environment that simultaneously fosters the development of new methods for extracting meaning from data and the application of those methods to a host of domain areas relevant to Tufts. Lastly, the center will provide a university-wide forum for identifying strategic opportunities best addressed by combining expertise in the science of data and application domains.
What You’ll Do
This position is a remote and the ideal candidate may enjoy a flexible work schedule.
What We’re Looking For
- Skills and experience typically acquired through a Bachelor’s Degree in related field with two years related experience or High School diploma plus 3 or more years related experience in a higher education, research, or scientific environment.
- One year experience developing stable, secure, scalable scientific web gateway development in high-performance computing.
- Experience with scripting basics (e.g., Shell, Batch, Perl, Python, etc.).
- Experience with open source and commercial research computing web gateway solutions such as Airvata, Taverna, OpenOnDemand, OpenXDMod, FastX, HubZero, NanoHub.
- Comfortable with configuration and troubleshooting of linux servers.
- Understanding of HPC architecture, subsystems and networking.
- Experience with relational databases such as mariadb, mysql or postgres.
- Experience with modern design patterns, microservices, api (REST, JSON) and complex, distributed systems.
- Experience and resourcefulness with all aspects of the software development cycle from analysis through evaluation and documentation when approaching software engineering challenges.
- Willing and able to learn technologies and required domain knowledge at a rapid pace.
- Background supporting academic researchers (e.g., faculty, staff, students, etc.).
- Strong communication skills, customer service and problem-solving skills.
- Work effectively in a dynamic, collaborative environment with colleagues across job functions and departments.
- Master’s Degree in related field with two years’ experience in a higher education, research, or scientific environment.
- Three years’ experience with configuration and troubleshooting of linux servers.
- Three years’ experience with HPC architecture, subsystems and networking.
- Three years’ experience with open source and commercial research computing web gateway solutions such as Airvata, Taverna, OpenOnDemand, OpenXDMod, FastX, HubZero, NanoHub.
- Familiarity with common web and GUI based applications for research such as Mathematica, MATLAB, R, Maple, Python, STATA, SPSS etc.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
Equal Opportunity Employer - minority/females/veterans/disability/sexual orientation/gender identity.