GeoD Global development preview: preserving context from STAC to local rasters

Hi Pangeo community,

I’m developing GeoD Global, a Windows desktop application for preparing and inspecting geospatial data locally. I’d appreciate feedback on preserving context when moving from a STAC scene to raster files used in analysis.

The screenshot below shows the English development build previewing Sentinel-2 L2A imagery through Earth Search, with the selected scene and its metadata visible. It shows a georeferenced preview. The public installer is still being prepared.

For a local preparation record, I’m considering retaining:

  • STAC collection/item IDs and the selected asset or band
  • acquisition time and source location
  • CRS, grid/resolution and NoData
  • any clipping, mosaicking or resampling steps applied

These fields are a proposed design for feedback.

When taking a prepared raster into your analysis, what is the minimum provenance and processing information you need? Are there conventions or examples you recommend for preserving the link to the original STAC item after local processing?

A short workflow example would help guide development.

Screenshot: GeoD Global development build, Sentinel-2 L2A preview via Earth Search. Copernicus Sentinel data (2026); Natural Earth overview.