Feedback on EOReader opensource python library

Hello everyone,

I am trying to simplify a lot the management of satellite data (both optical and SAR).
In order to achieve that, I have coded EOReader, a remote-sensing open source python library reading optical and SAR sensors, loading and stacking bands, clouds, DEM and index in a sensor-agnostic way. The lib is constructed on top of the beautiful libs geopandas, xarrays (through rioxarray). You can find the github here:

For example, I mapped the optical bands together (on Sentinel-2 pattern) to use them in a easier way

I know it is a bit ambitious, but it is kind of vital for us at work as we use almost daily a wide variety of sensors, from Very High Resolution data (i.e. Pleiades) to Middle Range Resolution data (ie. Sentinel-3). Thanks to those products, we extract floods, wildfires… at various scales (I am working for the Copernicus Emergency Management Service for those who know what it is)

I coded a lot of this lib under the hood, but we decided to go open source a while ago.
If you are interested about that, could you have a look to the lib and give me some feedback?
I hope this could benefit to the majority :slight_smile:

Best Regards,

Rémi

1 Like

Thanks for sharing! I haven’t had a chance to try your library out yet, but there might be some room for collaboration with other projects that (IIUC) are trying to do similar things:

Both of those rely on having STAC metadata for the datasets.

Thanks for the answer :slight_smile:

The goal of EOReader is to manipulate every product the same way (i.e. to create agnostically some index that can be loaded easily), but without any notion of temporality, multi-product process, cataloging etc.
I focus on opening canonical products (downloaded one way or another, could be through a STAC catalog or other conventional methods) but I have uncorrelated my work from STAC catalogs.

I don’t think it is exactly the same purpose than the libs you pointed out, but you are right some synergies could be found.
For example, EOReader could be a great help to generate a STAC catalog from raw products (actually this is kind of a project in my company)

Hello @remi-braun! I’m excited to explore your repo, as (as you note) aligning remote sensing datasets is a perpetual task. In the meantime, I wanted to share some additional ongoing efforts I’m aware of:

1 Like

I have currently had free access to ICEYE data thanks to a ESA EOHelp project :slight_smile:
So I plan to add the support of ICEYE data really soon, as we may need them in rapid mapping !
I also need to look at your lib closely, maybe we could collaborate on this task ! :star_struck:

1 Like