Pangeo Showcase Organizers Discussion (was "Showcase Host Duty Checklist")

No word yet from Alejandro for 6/23. I’ve already sent him one reminder. Let’s give it a few more days.

Who is hosting this week’s showcase? It’s at noon. I sent Sam a reminder email Friday and he has already filled out the speaker form…the system is starting to work!!! @clyne @rabernat @rsignell

Eduardo’s talk is posted and we are still waiting for Matt to respond to Rich re: his talk info.

1 Like

Thanks, Leslie. I can host this week. I added my name to the signup sheet.

1 Like

Awesome! Thanks! Thoughts on adding something at the bottom of the showcase schedule table to announce the hiatus for the summer?

Also, can someone push through my pull request re: adding Eduardo’s talk? Or whatever the appropriate Git terms are there.

Lastly, I now have everything I need to upload Matthew’s talk and will do that in the morning.

1 Like

Hi @lsmith, I think it would definitely be a good idea to put a notice on the calendar that we’'re taking a pause, but will be back in September, and that the signup sheet is still open for new talks.

1 Like

Alrighty, the Rocklin talk is posted and a pull request has been made. I also fixed the YouTube link and added a note at the bottom re: summer break.

I then realized I had a typo in the title of the discourse post which when I fixed changed the URL…not sure how to fix that amidst the pull request, but here’s the correct URL - June 2, 2021: Coiled: Dask as a Service - just in case that is something someone can do real quick as they accept my pull request. Otherwise I’ll go back and fix it once I see everything go through.

1 Like

Hi @lsmith, I fixed the URL typo and merged your PR. Thanks!

Ive still not heard anything back from Eduardo for next week. I’ve got a backup speaker lined up and say that we go with that so we can start advertising. The speaker is Brian Rose, brose@albany.edu, can you reach out to Brian with the speaker info form, etc? FYI I’ll be off the grid from Friday a.m. through all of next week. Thanks!

Thanks for the assist on the site. I’ll get in touch with Brian.

Brian submitted speaker information so looks like he is good to go for next week. I updated the showcase table with his info (as well as the Partee recording). Not sure who will be on their computer today, but if someone (@clyne @rabernat @rsignell) could accept that pull request that would be awesome.

Done. Thanks @lsmith !

1 Like

I will really try to make the meeting this week. (Brian is a dear old friend of mine.) I’ll be in Italy but likely jet-lagged so why not stay up late. However, given then situation, I would kind of prefer not to host. Maybe @rsignell could MC this week?

:crossed_fingers: that we have sorted out @lsmith’s Columbia Zoom account, so she can press record. Leslie are you available at 4pm this week?

@rabernat, I’m available for Wednesday and would be happy to host.

I’ll plan on pushing record!

Just a heads-up/reminder that I will be out of town on Wednesday so I won’t be able to push record. I’ll be relatively off the grid (no wifi, some cell) from 6/30-7/7. I’ll post that week’s recording when I get back.

1 Like

Rose recording has been posted and a pull request generated. I touched base with Julia and they are still good to go for Wednesday!

1 Like

I will be on the meeting today and can record / host.

Awesome @rabernat . I was signed up for hosting but happy to have you do it. Whatever your preference.

Hi @rabernat and @rsignell, we, the European Pangeo Community, are keen to host showcases this fall to highlight the use and impact of the Pangeo stack across European research institutions and industry.

We would like to follow the guidance provide in this thread. However, it would be great if we can set a catch-up between the American showcase team and some of us @pl.marasco @tinaok and my self to ensure we can maximize existing resources to promote and organize high-quality showcases.

3 Likes

Hi @acocac - we would be happy to see the showcase model replicated in the European community! This (very long!) thread outlines all of the systems and tools we use to make the showcase work. Most importantly, we are lucky to have professional support from @lsmith to help make the showcase run smoothly; she devotes several hours per week to this. Before committing to running another showcase, I would ask yourselves if you’re sure you have the time and / or resources to do the work–if not, you will likely burn out. (That almost happened to us before the Consortium for Ocean Leadership stepped in to save us!)

If you can commit to the work, then there are some other things to consider:

• How would we coordinate invitation requests between the two showcases? We want to avoid duplicate talks and also duplicate invitations to the same people.
  • Would we share a common pool of possible speakers? If so, how do we determine whether a speakers speaks in the European vs. US showcase?

@rabernat thanks for the reply and sharing previous experience!

You certainly made an excellent point about the commitment. We hope to confirm it in the next coffee meetings. Also, we’ll go through the things to consider.

Note the showcase idea is still at a very early stage. Alternatively, if there isn’t such commitment yet (at least for this fall), it would make sense some of us in Europe submit talks for the US showcase.

1 Like