Invitation to participate in Colombian 5th HPC Summer School in Space Exploration

Hi there,

Hope all is going well !!

I am Aurelio Vivas, a PhD student in computer science at Universidad de los Andes, Colombia. I’m also part of an organization called CyberColombia. Every year we run a Summer School at different universities in Colombia and cover topics such as HPC, Big Data, Quantum Computing, and this year we will cover Space Exploration (i.e., remote sensing, geoscience and related areas).

Since these kinds of events are possible thanks to the collaboration of international and national guest speakers and tutorial mentors, I extend the invitation to the “pangeans” community.

The event will take place from June 27 - June 29, 2022 in a hybrid in-person/virtual format.

Official page (under construction)

Potential ideas for talks or tutorials but not restricted to this.

• At first glance, I’m sure a talk/tutorial about pangeo software and computing stack would have a significant impact on Colombian communities working on space exploration. To the extent of my knowledge very few people in Colombia are aware of pangeo.
  • How HPC is enabling space exploration (software, computing environments such as cloud, grid, edge, etc).
  • Ongoing projects (such as Planetary Computer, STAC Catalogs, the Open Data Cube, etc), experiences, or technologies (such as Dask, Xarray, Zarr, etc) you consider may foster the engagement of Colombian researchers on space exploration or remote sensing.

If you are interested or know someone who may be interested, you can send me an email or reply to this post with the following or the contact of the one who may be interested.

• Name of the talk/tutorial:
  • Abstract (opcional):
  • Affiliation:
  • Email to send a formal invitation:

My email address: aa.vivas@uniandes.edu.co

Appreciate the time you take to read this post.

Let me know if you need more detail about the Summer School.

3 Likes

Hi there,

Hope all is going well,

Just to extend the invitation to attend the 5th Colombian HPC Summer School in Space Exploration.

Website

Overview
In brief, the summer school is an annual event that follows two main objectives: (1) bring awareness in Colombia of the broad array of research and career opportunities in areas supported by high-performance computing; and (2) Promote cooperation between academia, industry and international entities through research. This year the tematic is space exploration.

We will have invited speakers from international space exploration agencies, such as National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), European Space Agency (ESA), and United States Geological Survey (USGS); private and public organizations such as Amazon Web Services, NVIDIA, MathWorks, iMMAP Colombia, Dymaxion Labs, UbiHPC; and universities such as McMaster University, and Universidad del Valle. They will tell us how they are conducting space and land exploration at a large scale.